DuPont is Focusing its Capabilities in Science and Technology
October 16, 2014
Over the last 18 months, DuPont Performance Polymers has enhanced its advanced materials portfolio to help customers find materials-based sustainable solutions to today’s critical challenges in electrical/electronics, food-contact and optical fiber markets. Today, among those advanced materials, DuPont announces the launch of 4 NEW globally available grades to allow customers to make their products better and more economical by combining innovative, science-based functionality with in-depth material science know-how and applications development.
The materials are designed to help customers more quickly develop safer more sustainable components used in communications, power generation systems and food conveyors and processing equipment.
“We know materials are critical in any new product. When new materials are required, it is imperative to develop those in close collaboration with customers so that they are optimized to deliver the right balance of value and performance,” said David Glasscock, global technology director, DuPont Performance Polymers. “Working with design engineers early in the development process and with processing engineers to solve real-world problems, provides the insights that help keep our advanced materials portfolio relevant.”
“Halogen-Free” Dominates New Materials for Electrical/Electronic Applications
Polymers to replace thermosets housings, enclosures, sockets and switches in the electrical and electronics markets include:
- NEW: the first halogen-free DuPont™ Rynite® PET, FR533NH, combining enhanced long-term heat aging performance (RTI Mechanical of 160°C according to UL746 certification) and good electrical properties with a CTI of 300V. The resin also brings outstanding flammability performance, with glow-wire ignition temperature (GWIT) resistance of at least 775°C and UL 94 V0 down to 0.4 mm thickness.
- Halogen-free1 DuPont™ Zytel® FR95G25V0NH PA has enhanced thermal aging (Relative Temperature Index - RTI Electrical of 160°C under UL746 certification), industry leading Comparative Tracking Index (CTI) of 600V, a UL 94 V0 flammability rating down to 0.4 mm thickness and excellent surface finish. The material offers greater productivity as it is high flow to fill thin sections and exceptionally clean molding. It has the highest RTI value in our Performance Polymers portfolio and in the polyamide market.
Food Contact Applications
DuPont materials that can be used in applications that come into contact with food, address regulatory requirements and customer production needs include:
- NEW DuPont™ Zytel® RS LCFG3060, a long chain polyamide grade based on renewably sourced PA610, for beverage dispensing tube applications, complies with applicable U.S. and EU food contact regulatory standards and is produced according to Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) guidelines. This resin is characterized by excellent chemical resistance and flexibility, smooth internal extruded surfaces and can be easily co-extruded with HDPE using a tie layer like DuPont™ Bynel®.
- NEW DuPont™ Rynite® FG530, a 30 percent glass reinforced PET that is BPA free and complies with U.S. and EU food contact regulatory standards and is produced according to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP). It is used in food packaging as a high-temperature stiffener and sealing surface for ovenable and microwaveable food containers.
- DuPont™ Delrin® FG400MTD acetal metal detectable and Delrin® FG400XRD acetal X-ray detectable that can be detected using standard inspection systems and can be used in applications such as bag closures, conveyor chains and industrial cutters.
Advanced Materials for Optical Fiber Cables
Polymers that are used in optical fiber cable constructions include:
- NEW DuPont™ Hytrel® for mini loose tube optical fiber cable applications allowing ultra-thin-wall constructions with a good strip-ability and easy installation as the materials can be confectioned without tools.
- DuPont™ Crastin® PBT is used in optical fiber loose tube applications due to its excellent dimensional stability and mechanical properties such as flexural modulus and impact resistance at low temperature. Furthermore, Crastin® has a low isotropic shrinkage, allowing a low signal attenuation over the cable lifetime even when exposed to a large range of temperatures.
- Hytrel® TPC-ET prevents the optical fibers that are used in tight buffered optical fiber cable applications from damage through its outstanding impact resistance even at very low temperatures while allowing a flexible thin-wall construction.
- Further attributes of Hytrel® for these applications include a wide range of hardness (32-82 shore D) without plasticizers , excellent heat and chemical resistance, a very low brittleness temperature (down to -100°C), outstanding flexibility as well as resistance to fatigue and cut growth.
About DuPont Performance Polymers
DuPont Performance Polymers is committed to working with customers throughout the world to develop new products, components and systems that help reduce dependence on fossil fuels and protect people and the environment. With more than 40 manufacturing, development and research centers throughout the world, DuPont Performance Polymers uses the industry’s broadest portfolio of plastics, elastomers, renewably sourced polymers, filaments and high-performance parts and shapes to deliver cost-effective solutions to customers in aerospace, automotive, consumer, electrical, electronic, industrial, sporting goods and other diversified industries.
DuPont (NYSE: DD) has been bringing world-class science and engineering to the global marketplace in the form of innovative products, materials, and services since 1802. The company believes that by collaborating with customers, governments, NGOs, and thought leaders we can help find solutions to such global challenges as providing enough healthy food for people everywhere, decreasing dependence on fossil fuels, and protecting life and the environment. For additional information about DuPont and its commitment to inclusive innovation, please visit www.dupont.com.